Sunday, July 19, 2009

Jumping In Puddles

We had quite a bit of rain here on Friday night - really bad thunderstorms (but really cool once we weren't driving in them anymore). Bree wanted to play in the rain (of course!) but I told her that if there were puddles the next day, she could put her boots on and go out to play. Undeterred, she put her boots on that night with her pyjamas, only taking them off after about an hour, declaring them "too hot!"


Oddly enough the water was gone just about as quickly as it arrived. But trust me, Bree can find a puddle like a pig can find a truffle. Big or small, Bree will find it. And then jump in it. Repeatedly.

One of the benefits of a slow growing child is that things will fit her for a loooooonnnnng time. I'm not kidding - the other day she wore an outfit that's marked "9 Months." Truth be told, it's probably one of the last times she'll be able to wear it, but still. 30 months old and still wearing clothes sized for a 9 month old - that's getting every last penny's worth out of that outfit. (Okay, the "pants" are now "shorts" and I still had to take a tuck in the waist. And I wish I were kidding, but I'm not.) My point was, the boots from last winter still fit. And will likely fit this winter, too.


There is a children's video with a character called "Peppa Pig" that Bree likes to watch. Peppa and her brother George can jump in muddy puddles, but only when they have their boots on. Telling Bree that she can only jump in puddles with her boots on has surprisingly been very effective.



Bree had a good time playing in her boots and jumping in the one puddle that she could find.

No comments: