Saturday, July 11, 2009

Bike Rides

It occured to me that I've never posted pictures of our bike with Bree's seat on it. We got a seat for her right after we moved down here. When we first rode with her (Scott tried it out first) she would throw her body backwards in the seat because she was so excited. When she was only 15 pounds or so, it wasn't a big deal. It can be a big deal when she's throwing all of her 21 pounds around.





Bree loves being up front. So far, I don't think that she's eaten any bugs, but it's a possibility. Beary also comes with us, and I get nervous when she's dangling Beary in the breeze. Because with how the seat is mounted, I can't just get on & off this bike. To get on and off, I use the side mirror of the car. It's hard to explain, but my leg has to swing over the back of the bike to get on and off. And I'm front-heavy, so I have to be braced against something immobile in order to make it all work.





Bree got a tricycle for Christmas but she still hasn't quite figured out how to operate the pedals. To be honest, I'm not all that certain that she really cares to learn, because she does just fine with pushing herself along with her feet. She does have trouble with steering, so often she's just going in circles in the cul-de-sac. Which is fine because she's easy to keep track of. :)



Our neighborhood is a subdivision off a secondary road, so there's not a lot of traffic, which is nice. Lots of dead ends and cul-de-sacs, and only two entry/exit points. So there's a circuit which takes us about 15 minutes, and on nice days we do it twice. We get to see lots of doggies, birds, and even a school bus!


The hardest part about riding with her now is the phrase, "I DO IT, Mommy" as she tries to shove my hands off the handle bars so she can steer. Sometimes I'll try to play along and end up with my fingertips at the very ends of the handle bars. Other times I just try to ignore her. (Not easy.)


And if you're wondering, yes, we have a helmet for her. But it doens't yet fit her head - it's too big. I have some suggestions as to how to get it to fit, and we're going to try it. But for our bike rides right around home, this is how we're riding.


No comments: