Thursday, January 20, 2011

About Those Swimming Lessons

When Bree finished her last session of swimming, she actually got an evaluation of her skills. We had actually received one the time before, but it had a different child's name on it, so it was given to us in error. Because Bree has been the only child in her class for the last two sessions, so it was a bit odd to get someone else's evaluation.

Anyway! On to the most recent evaluation! These might be a bit hard to read, but you might be able to click on them and enlarge them. Bree got all "completed" for the skills for an Eel. But note the blue box at the bottom of the page that's titled "Swimmer Attitude." All "Yeses" and one big fat "No."

I do think think it's a bit odd that she did get a "yes" for "Swimmer listens to instructions" but got a "no" for "Swimmer follows directions." So basically, she'll listen to what you say, but she won't do as you ask. Oh wait - yeah. I could have told you that. :) But half the time she doesn't listen to me so I was a bit surprised that she got a "yes" for listening.


The one comment in the Ray section that says "Bob and get a breath 10 times in shallow water without PFD" (personal flotation device). This is actually more of a happy accident rather than any specific skill. It's because Bree is completely and utterly convinced that she already knows how to swim. And I say that with 100% seriousness. Which is why we have her taking lessons - she has no fear of water, no concept of "deep" water, and will tell anyone who asks that she knows how to swim.

She started telling her instructor that she wanted to swim all by herself. So as soon as the instructor let her go, Bree would go down, come up, go down, come up - it was like watching Bree try to ride a bike in the water. I would hold my breath as she bobbed under, and then release it as she surfaced. I wasn't worried, the instructor was right there the whole time. I was impressed by the fact that Bree was swimming through sheer force of will. So I was pleasantly surprised to see that "skill" recognized as an achievement for the next skill level.

Bree was signed up again for the 9 a.m. class that started on January 8th. There were two other children in the class. One child was a little boy who was just dropped off by his dad. With a "see ya!" to his son, he was gone. Well, the first 10 minutes of the class were spent trying to get the little boy to sit down. Then he wouldn't stay with the class, he kept getting up and walking away, it was a disaster. Bree got in the water twice during her class time. I was so disappointed. I called later on in the week to get Bree into a different class.

So we showed up last Saturday, ready for our 10:45 class . . . . which turned out didn't really exist! That was not fun. Bree cried all the way back to the car. I called the Aquatics Director on Tuesday of this week and got Bree into an actual class. One that exists. Or so she says. We'll find out on Saturday when we show up!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Bree has been pretending to write letters. She just brought a piece of paper to me and said, "Mom, read this letter I wrote to Baby Beary." So I gave it a whirl: "Dear Baby Beary, you are my best friend in the whole world and I love you very much."

Bree said, "No! That's not what it says! It says, "Dear Baby Beary, if Blue Beary doesn't behave, he's not getting any presents for his birthday. And NO PARTY!"

Who knew? I guess that Blue Beary better shape up!

2 comments:

grace said...

She SLAYS me. I used to do that letter writing thing, and was always very put out when nobody read what my letters REALLY said.

I'm so glad she's so into swimming and fearless!

Anonymous said...

Complete and total fearlessness is a terrifying prospect as a parent but I can't help but admire it.