Sunday, December 4, 2011

Decking The Halls, Part II

I've been living on my own for a number of years now, and it's taken me some time to build up a collection of holiday ornaments. I've got some interesting ones and thought I'd share. :) 

This first ornament is a gift from my friend Amy, who has the opportunity to travel to all corners of the world with her job. She gave me this wreath of shells from Hawaii. "Aloha" is actually painted on the darker shells, but I think it was facing inward. 



This next ornament was made by Bree while she was at Kindercare way back in 2007. So just about to turn 1. And her teachers caught this great photo of her and have her "popping" out of a present. It's one my very favorite ornaments for the tree. It doesn't hang, but it sits on a branch very nicely.



I received three ornaments from Egypt and they're absolutely spectacular. I love the shape of the perfume bottles, and this is one of them. The fact that it's pink makes it that much more awesome to Bree. I hang these so she can't reach them.



I got these paper stars from Anne - they're from India, and while I don't think they're specifically Christmas ornaments, I put them in the tree because they are festive and I love them.



I got this ornament on a trip to Armenia. I bought several and gave them out as gifts. I actually didn't go to Armenia at Christmastime - it was in April of 2006. Technically Bree's first trip, though I was completely unaware that she was onboard at the time. :)


Please excuse this poor picture of this beautiful ornament from Hawaii - also a gift from Amy.



I'm not sure where Anne picked this one up - possibly Tibet? I know she must have written it on a card enclosed at the time, but I have completely forgotten. Actually, this one could have come from Amy - she traveled to South America extensively in the past few years - I guess I have forgotten exactly where it's from. I used to have an excellent memory for things like this - but there's only so much room in the old noggin by this point. So, this is either from Amy or Anne. From either India or South America. Wow - there's a whole realm of possibilities on this one! (And how embarrassing that I just don't remember!)


I picked up the following ornaments while I was living in Kazakhstan. The two top folks are Kazakh, while the felt bird is Kyrgyz. There was actually a baby bird in the back (there's an "egg" in there as well) but Bree was playing with this last year and the baby bird is no longer anywhere to be found.



Again, excuse the poor photography - these two felt people are Kyrgyz. And can also double as finger puppets. I have two sets because I thought they were just that awesome.



Amy got me this Canadian maple leaf ornament. Also hung high up on the tree so little hands can't play with it and bend it. It's actually filigree and quite delicate - and very beautiful.

I actually found this pickle ornament a few years ago at some store - Michael's, maybe? I got a bunch and gifted them to my friends who live in/around Linwood - the home of the National Pickle Festival.   My 15 year high school reunion was a very casual affair held in the beer tent of the Pickle Festival - where I had a great time and managed to lose my keys. In the beer tent. What a nightmare trying to find them! Luckily for me, someone turned them in. I was trying to work out in my head how I could get my car unlocked and started and get back to DC in time for work on Monday morning. Yeah, not one of my brightest moments, but all's well that ended well.

I know everyone has special ornaments - my mom still has "my" ornaments from when I was a child. I haven't been to Michigan for a Christmas in 6 years so it's been a while since I've seen them. Bree will have LOTS of ornaments that will be "hers" - after all, she even gets her own tree. :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Lovely! And the alpaca is from me -- because it's an alpaca! It's from Peru. And the leaf is actually an aspen. :) So nice to see all these! I love the idea. Our tree is very similar, with memories from everywhere. If I were doing a tree this year, I'd be inspired to do the same blog. Everything's in the back room. Wonder which ones/ how many I'll get to keep?