Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Brief Update

So we only have a few weeks left to use our Fun Pass at Elmo Park - it expires on September 7th. Although it was the hottest day of the year (maybe not but it sure felt like it!) on Sunday, we went to Elmo Park to have some fun.

Yes, Bree drinks the water. These photos will be excellent documentation when she's older and I tell her all the gross things she did when she was little. Oh, you can be sure I'm gonna use it! I need every advantage I can get with this girl.



We had a weight check on Monday: 23 pounds, 34 inches. The doctor is very pleased, as this means that Bree gained a pound in 6 weeks. We've been having some digestive issues - resulting in daily blow outs, baths, and outfit changes at the daycare provider's house. So we've been trying to get to the root of the issue. Turns out that Bree is lactose intolerant. We've cut out almost all dairy from her diet, and she's now drinking Lactaid. The explosive diarrhea seems to be under control, but now we're encountering a new issue.


Bree has quite a temper. And she does not like to be corrected or disciplined. She has discovered that she can vomit at will, and she uses this to deflect being corrected in an attempt to get sympathy or concern. I think she was more surprised than anything else when she did it the first time. But now she does it when she wants to get out of a time out.



I googled the situation and was quite alarmed at some of the suggestions. In my opinion, leaving a child in vomit stained clothing is not an appropriate deterrent. I agree that it does not give the child the attention that they're seeking, but it's also just gross. Making everyone miserable (I mean, who wants to smell that all day?) isn't a workable solution.



On the one hand, I was relieved to know that other kids do this, but on the other hand, it's a bit disappointing to hear that "it's a phase" and "they'll outgrow it." Again, not particularly helpful to me right now.



There were some good suggestions, and a book recommendation that I'm going to check out from the library. As I was telling someone, this girl is my greatest challenge, but also my greatest reward.




Bree is talking so much more these days. Some of the words that I've gotten used to, but would baffle others:

headadoctor - helicopter

bandbam - band-aid

"hadda birt day to ooh" - Happy Birthday to You (This is apparently the only line of the song she knows, so only repeats this over and over and over)
Other recent phrases:
"I'm gonna ride that horsey!"

"I'm gonna pet that dog!"

"Doctor gonna look at mah boo boos!" (I may have posted that one here already but it's just so darn cute when she says it.)

"I'm NOT a baby. I'm big girl!"

"I'm gonna show that to mah daddy." (Emphasis hers - he is her daddy and her daddy only.)

"Daddy, time for FIRE!" (When she's helping him with the grill/smoker.)


So my wash clothes are a little old and worn in spots - spots that Bree can now identify and exploit. She's learned that she can rip holes in them. Grrreeeeat. That's wash cloth number three that's she's ripped. Of course, it's wonderful fun for her - but not so much for me.
In short, she's doing just fine. We're doing just fine. It's been a good summer - one that went by a little too fast.





No comments: