Aunt Amy came in on the train, which was very exciting for Bree. Except she wanted to get on the train and was very upset when she realized that we weren't getting on to go for a ride.
It was pouring rain on Friday night when we picked up Amy from the train station. We went to a local restaurant, The Crab Shack, that is right on the banks of the James River. (Presumably not the model for the Crab Shack on My Name Is Earl!) We sat out on the porch, and Bree hung out by the screen door so she could get wet(ter). Bizarrely, Bree only ate coleslaw for dinner. More often than not, her tastes in food really resemble Scott's, so I was very surprised when she at the coleslaw, as Scott does not like it. She was using both hands to bring it to her mouth. It was funny to watch, in an amused/horrified way.
Saturday afternoon we went to the zoo. We got there kind of late but we got to see a lot. It was cooler on Saturday, and we got to see animals that aren't normally out when it's hotter. We got to see the rhino (which Bree kept calling a hippo, an understandable mix-up) and the new red panda. It was a good trip to the zoo.
On Sunday we went down to the ocean front. I stupidly thought that Bree would be content to walk in the surf, but of course not - she wanted to go swimming. The water was cold and the wind was kind of cold - and I was not prepared to go swimming. That girl cried all the way up & down the board walk. I scrapped the plan to have lunch at the ocean front because there was no way she was going to be happy just looking at the ocean.

We ended up in a different part of town and we were able to eat outside because it was so very nice. And I was actually able to eat an entire meal! Wow! It really helps to have another person around to draw Bree's attention. And Bree really loved spending time with her Aunt Amy.
Of course getting Amy back on the train was tricky. Bree threw a tantrum right there on the train platform because I wouldn't let her ride the train. She really didn't give a hoot when I told her that I'd miss her if she left me to go with Aunt Amy. "I wanna ride the twain!" Which actually came out more like, "I wanna ride the twaaaaaaaaaiiiiiinnnn!" (Add your own foot stomping and fist clenching.)
We ended up in a different part of town and we were able to eat outside because it was so very nice. And I was actually able to eat an entire meal! Wow! It really helps to have another person around to draw Bree's attention. And Bree really loved spending time with her Aunt Amy.
Amy was a fantastic accomplice in Operation Exhaust Toddler (weekend edition). I can't wait until she can come do it again. :)
1 comment:
Me either! I just posted about Bree too. :)
Post a Comment