Last year, the threat of bad behavior put trick or treating in jeopardy. Luckily, we haven't had any of those issues this year. Bree is really enjoying pre-k and the change is really remarkable - she hasn't thrown any tantrums (of note) and is generally good natured these days.
This may very well be the last year that we'll be able to get away with getting two Halloweens out of one costume. :) That's okay. Bree wanted to be Thumbelina again this year, but I told her that I'd try to make it a bit different and add some glitter face paint.
I picked up some pink and purple glitter face paint and we tested it out last weekend. A trial run, if you will. Given that Halloween was on a Monday, I wasn't going to have a lot of prep time before trick or treating. It was a sound plan, and it was a very good thing we did a test run, because it was later that night, in the bath, that I learned that glitter face paint didn't come out with just soap and water. I rushed to Google "removing glitter face paint" and I found that there were three things that would remove it: 1). Pond's face cream (which I didn't have); 2). baby wipes (which I didn't have): and 3). baby oil (of which I had approximately 3 tablespoons in an old bottle). Luckily for me, the glitter face paint came off with the baby oil, and I didn't have to try to explain why Bree was going to school on October 24th with glitter on her face!
Bree's school sent home a paper plate stapled to a paint stick with instructions to make any kind of mask for the Halloween parade. We had 2 weeks to make the mask, which was really generous for those parents who don't procrastinate. We had ours done by Thursday (one day before the due date) but when we were taking it to school some of our items fell off so I took it back for one more round of hot glue to make sure that everything stayed put. So we made the deadline of turning the mask in by Friday.
Bree picked out some butterflies, some sunflowers, pink glitter paint and purple ribbon for her mask. When it was all assembled & hot glued together, Bree looked at me and said, "what is it?" I thought for a minute and said, "tell everyone you're a fall fairy." That was the perfect answer for Bree. :)
I told Bree that I'd have to see what was going on at work on Monday, but that I'd try to be at the parade. It was blessedly a slow day so I was able to head over and surprise Bree. She was very happy to see me. It was a beautiful day for a parade, and all the kids did great jobs on their masks.
We started our trick or treating at 6pm and lasted about an hour. Then the bucket started getting too heavy, and Bree was slowing down. So we went home, turned on the porch light and handed out candy. It's actually hard for me to say what Bree enjoyed more - getting candy or giving candy. When she handed out the candy to the kids - no matter what the age - Bree would say, "I LOVE your costume!" and "Happy Halloween!" and occasionally "Thanks for stopping by!" It was awesome. We didn't get a lot of trick or treaters, fewer than 40 total, but it was nice to be able to give out some candy.
We had a great Halloween. I'm looking forward to next year already. :)


1 comment:
I'm so glad you had a good year!!! She really is getting a lot out of pre-K. I'm so proud of you both!
Post a Comment