Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Snow Day!

So, yeah. It's been a while. I've been a little busy catering to the every whim and desire of a very demanding 2 year old. Well, something like that, anyway.

Picture this: Friday, beautiful blue skies, 70 degrees. I hear the 7 day forecast calling for snow on Sunday, a mere two days later. No way! I think to myself. Never gonna happen here. Every time snow has been mentioned in the forecast, it never happens. Not even a flake. So I was skeptical.

It rained cats and dogs all weekend long. And then on Monday morning, WHAMMO! SNOW!

The local schools were on a two hour delay, so I thought that was reasonable, and I put us on our own two hour delay. After all, the snow had stopped for the most part, and I thought that the roads would be well treated by the time we started our trek to our destination.

I could not have been more wrong. Let me repeat that - I could not have been more wrong. VDOT did NOTHING in this area to treat the roads after the snow stopped. Maybe they missed the weather report that the temperatures were dropping. By the time I started out, the roads were nice and icey, and there were 200 (yes, TWO HUNDRED) reported accidents in the Hampton Roads area. (Which I heard reported today on the radio.)

I couldn't even get out of our area of town to get to an interstate. After 20 minutes I had only gone 5 miles (Okay 10 becuase of all the turning around) I called it a day and went home. We were back home and outside playing by 9:30.


Bree has seen snow on tv, there's snow on an Elmo video she has, and there's a Peppa Pig episode where Peppa & George throw snowballs and make a snowman. So she's not unfamiliar with the concept of snow. But I don't think she expected it to be quite so cold. Or wet.

Bree spent most of the time throwing snow at me. So I spent most of the time running away from her. And if there's anything she loves more than throwing snow at Mommy, it's chasing Mommy to throw snow at her.


Because it was so cold out (for here, anyway. It was in the low 20s) we only stayed outside for about 30 minutes at a time. Then we put hats, mittens & pants in the dryer until the next trip outside.


I have mentioned previously here how much Bree loves snowmen. "NOMAN!" While we didn't have enough snow on the ground to really build an ambitious snowman, Bree took great delight in making her own snowman. Which actually was a very large snowball, but hey - it was HER snowman. She carried it around with her the whole time she was outside. It was very sweet. We made a "home" for it for when we had to go in at night. (And it lasted today, but I have my doubts as to whether or not it will be there after tomorrow.)



We had so much fun that it's a shame that our first (and only, I suspect) snow day for 2009 came on March 2nd.



No comments: